Charles Hogg (at the right end of the front row) and Glasgow District Subway power station staff in 1923.
Hogg started work with the Glasgow District Subway in 1915 as a trimmer. Later he became a fireman and when he retired in 1961 he was in charge of the "loco squad." His pay on retiring was £222 and 6 shillings a year.
The Glasgow District Subway was acquired by Glasgow Corporation in 1923 and was renamed the Glasgow Underground. To many ordinary Glaswegians, however, it has remained the "Subway".
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
apprentices, Glasgow Corporation Transport, Glasgow District Subway, Glasgow Underground, loco squads, power stations