The school car (No 1017) used to train new tramway staff.
This car was originally an open topped double-decker tram which operated in the Paisley tram fleet. The Paisley tramway was absorbed by Glasgow Corporation Tramways in 1923. The Corporation decided to convert No 1017 so that it could be used as a school car for training new staff. The top deck was removed and special modifications made inside. Training normally took place on a dedicated tram track in Coplaw Street in Govanhill. No 1017 can now be seen at Summerlee Heritage Park in Coatbridge.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
Glasgow Corporation Transport, motormen, Paisley trams, school cars, training, trams, transport