Conductors and conductresses in the office at Govan tram depot in Brand Street during the First World War.
B etween 3,000 and 4,000 men from the Glasgow tramways enlisted to fight during the First World War. Women were employed to replace the men, first as conductresses and later as drivers. The first two conductresses, employed in 1915, were already employed by the tramways as clerical staff.
Reproduced with the permission of Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Museums
conductors, conductresses, First World War, Glasgow Corporation Tramways, offices, tram depots, trams, women