Professors' Court at the University of Glasgow, c 1870. The court was built on the site of the former carriage entrance from the High Street. Work on its construction began in 1722. By 1780, the quadrangle contained eleven terraced houses occupied by professors.
The ugly structure standing in the courtyard was a gasometer, which stored gas for the houses. The pointed obelisk on top had once been the cover of the University's well.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services,PH/PR 1196, 53-1
University of Glasgow
courtyards, gasometers, houses, obelisks, Old College, Professors' Court, University of Glasgow, wells