The Inner Court and the clock tower of the University of Glasgow in High Street, c 1870.
The Inner or East Court was paved with red sandstone flagstones. The tower at the western side of the quadrangle was 140 feet high. It was built in 1686 and two bells were installed: both were removed to Gilmorehill after 1870. A lightning conductor was attached to the tower in 1772, tipped with gold to prevent rusting. It was the only one in Glasgow for nearly forty years.
The niche above the archway at the foot of the tower held a marble bust of Zachary Boyd (1585?-1653) the minister of Barony Church who also served as a dean of faculty, rector and vice chancellor of the University and who bequeathed his large library and £20,000 to the University.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services PHU38/67
bell towers, bells, busts, clock towers, clocks, courtyards, gold, Inner Court, lightning conductors, ministers, Old College, quadrangles, rectors, sculptures, students, University of Glasgow