Three students pose at the University of Glasgow gatehouse on High Street, c 1870.
The University was entered through this ornate archway. Its massive nail-studded oak doors were closed at night but there was a wicket through which to admit latecomers. The date 1658 was carved over the gateway and in 1660 a slab bearing the Royal coat of arms was mounted there with the letters C R II, to mark the Restoration of the Stuart monarchy and the proclamation of Charles II (1630-1685) as king. A broad cornice or balcony carried on corbels projected from the wall on either side of the gateway.
The High Street buildings were demolished after the University was relocated in Gilmorehill in 1870. However, the stonework from the gateway was put in store until it could be incorporated in the new University gatehouse, Pearce Lodge.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU 38/16
Glasgow University Archives
coats of arms, entrances, fashions, gatehouses, gates, gateways, Old College, Pearce Lodge, Restoration, students, University of Glasgow