The University of Glasgow buildings on High Street from the south, c 1870.
The main University buildings were rebuilt in the 17th century behind the impressive facade stretching along the east side of High Street. The High Street frontage featured an imposing gateway and attractive decorated windows, with three tall and distinctive rectangular chimney stalks rising from the roof above the entrance. The upper part of the University clock tower rises above the buildings to the right.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services PHU38/67
High Street (City Centre, Glasgow, Scotland)
carriages, chimneys, clock towers, clocks, entrances, gateways, horses and carts, Old College, streetscenes, University of Glasgow