Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church on Great Western Road, 1875.
Glasgow's most imposing Gothic Revival church was designed by John Honeyman and built in 1862-1863. The carved stonework, including a medallion portrait of John Eadie, is by John Mossman. The spire rises to 218 feet (66.5 metres).
The decision of the minister John Eadie and a section of his congregation to leave Cambridge Street UP for the leafy suburbs of was controversial. As one wag put it,
"This church is not for the poor and needy
But for the rich and Dr Eadie.
The rich may come and take their seat
But the poor go on to Cambridge Street."
Lansdowne became United Free and then Lansdowne Parish Church.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Cambridge Street United Presbyterian Church, churches, doggerel, Lansdowne Parish Church, Lansdowne United Free Church, Lansdowne United Presbyterian Church, poetry