Berkeley Street United Presbyterian Church at Charing Cross, 1875.
The church was designed by John Burnet and built in 1856 by the former minister and former members of the congregation of East Campbell Street UP. It became United Free in 1900 and in 1920 the congregation united with Bath Street to form Blythswood UF.
The church was apparently demolished and a "palais de danse" opened on the site. During the 1940s and 1950s the new building was known as the Berkeley Dance Hall. It became the Highlanders' Institute in the early 1960's until 1979 and a casino was subsequently opened in the premises. The casino was demolished and in 2004 the site is occupied by a block of flats which stretches from the North Street corner.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Berkeley Dance Hall, Berkeley Street United Free Church, Berkeley Street United Presbyterian Church, Blythswood United Free Church, casinos, churches, dance halls, East Campbell Street United Presbyterian Church, Highlanders' Institute