Cambridge Street United Presbyterian Church, 1875.
The Cambridge Street United Secession congregation was formed in 1833 to serve the growing populations of Cowcaddens and Garnethill. The church was designed by architect John Baird Jnr and erected in Cambridge Street near New City Road in 1834. The first minister was John Eadie, who became Professor of Biblical Literature at the United Presbyterian Church's Divinity Hall.
The church was extended and altered in 1846 and again in 1868. The congregation terminated in 1968 on union with Bishopbriggs Springfield, after the church was the subject of a compulsory purchase order. It was demolished during the redevelopment of Cowcaddens.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Biblical Criticism, Cambridge Street United Free Church, Cambridge Street United Presbyterian Church, Cambridge Street United Secession Church, CDAs, churches, comprehensive redevelopment areas, compulsory purchase orders, Divinity Hall, professors, slum clearance, urban regeneration