Calton United Presbyterian Church, 1875.
A church was built in Kirk Street (subsequently renamed Stevenson Street) in 1756 for a break-away congregation of the Old Reformed Presbyterian Church. In 1820 the building was acquired by the Kirk Street Relief Church and an extension was added at the rear in 1821. The first minister, James Turnbull, was involved in a protracted dispute with the Relief Church after confessing to visiting a dram shop. He resigned in 1827 and carried many of his parishioners with him to a chapel in Great Hamilton Street that was known as the "Noddy Kirk" because of the building's resemblance to a "noddy" carriage.
The congregation terminated in 1949 on uniting with Macmillan as Macmillan Calton. In 1961 that church united with St Luke's to form Calton New Parish Church.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Calton Relief Church, Calton United Free Church, Calton United Presbyterian Church, churches, Kirk Street Relief Church, noddies, Noddy Kirk