John Street United Presbyterian Church, 1875
The John Street Relief Church congregation built a church in 1798. Their first minister left after "reports unfavourable to his character for sobriety... in some cases well founded".
A new church was erected on the site of the old in 1858-1860, designed by John Thomas Rochead in the style of an Italian palazzo 1858-60. It was converted into a bar and offices in 1987-1988.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
bars, drinking, John Street Jam, John Street Relief Church, John Street United Presbyterian Church, ministers, offices, public houses, pubs, Renaissance