Sydney Place United Presbyterian Church in Calton, 1875.
The formation of Glasgow's second Burgher congregation in 1789 was followed by the opening of a new church in East Campbell Street the following year. The congregation, which became United Presbyterian in 1847, moved to a new church designed by Peddie & Kinnear in Sydney Place off Duke Street in 1858. It became a United Free Church in 1900. In 1926 the congregation united with the Campbell Street East UF Church. A further merger, with the Wellpark Free Church in 1949, resulted in another change of name, to Trinity Duke Street Parish Church. The congregation moved to Dennistoun Central Church in 1975 and the building became the Kirkhaven Day Centre for homeless men until it was closed following a fire in 1986.
The Glasgow Building Trust began renovating the building in 2000 as an extension to the Wellpark Enterprise Centre.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Burgher Church, churches, Corinthian columns, Glasgow Building Trust, homeless men, hostels, Kirkhaven Day Centre, Peddie & Kinnear, Sydney Place United Free Church, Sydney Place United Presbyterian Church, Trinity Duke Street Parish Church, Wellpark Enterprise Centre