St Vincent Street Free Church, designed by Alexander "Greek" Thomson for the United Presbyterian Church and built 1857-1859.
According to the historian John Tweed, writing in 1872, "Its lofty situation gives its raised porticoes a commanding look which in less elevated quarters the Grecian buildings miss. It stands north and south, having a portico at each end... The tower is disconnected from the church, and it is difficult to bring it into harmony with the temple architecture. It is probably a purely Thomsonian structure, and is covered all over with the peculiar ornamentation which that artist lavishes on the humblest as well as the richest of his designs."
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
churches, St Vincent Street Free Church, United Presbyterian Church