Cathedral Street United Presbyterian Church, 1875.
The Cathedral Street congregation had formed the first Relief church in Glasgow and in 1763 had built a church in Cannon Street. It moved in 1775 to Dovehill and in 1844 to this church in Cathedral Street with 1,100 sittings. The foundations were seriously damaged by underground railway workings and had to be abandoned in 1878. In 1880 the congregation moved to a new church in Kelvingrove.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Cathedral Street United Presbyterian Church, churches, railway construction, railway tunnels, Relief Church, subsidence, tunnelling