Greyfriars United Presbyterian Church in Albion Street, just south of George Street in the Merchant City.
In 1821, one year after the creation of the new United Secession Church, the congregation of the old Burgher church in Shuttle Street moved to a new building in Albion Street. The church was built on part of the site of the old Franciscan monastery and human bones were discovered while excavating the foundations. It was named Greyfriars, the popular name for members of the Franciscan Order.
The church was designed by John Baird Jnr with a massive Doric portico, and dedicated on 18 November 1821. It was demolished in the 1960s.
Reference: Glasgow University Library, Theology SK 100 AIK
Glasgow University Library
Burgher Church, churches, Franciscan Order, Franciscans, Greyfriars United Secession Church, monasteries, porticos, United Presbyterian Church