Glasgow Harbour looking east, c 1950s.
In the centre of the picture are Queen's Dock (on the left, built in the 1870s) and Prince's Dock (on the right, built in the 1890s). Queen's Dock was in-filled in 1977 and the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre opened there in 1985. The Glasgow Science Centre opened in 2001 on the site of Prince's Dock.
The shipyard at the bottom centre of the photograph is that of Belfast-based shipbuilders Harland & Wolff. In 1912 the company bought the London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Co's Middleton and Govan New shipyards in Govan and Mackie & Thomson's Govan Old yard. The three neighbouring yards were amalgamated and redeveloped to provide seven building berths, a fitting-out basin and extensive workshops on Govan Road and Water Row. Harland & Wolff specialised in building tankers and cargo ships at Govan. The yard was closed in 1962.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU64/44
University of Glasgow
aerial views, docks, Glasgow Harbour, Glasgow Science Centre, harbours, Harland & Wolff, L&G, London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Co, Prince's Dock, Queen's Dock, River Clyde, Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre, SECC, shipbuilding, ships, shipyards, Yorkhill Quay