George Square, 1914.
Named for King George III, George Square was laid out in 1781. For the first few years it was little more than a muddy hollow, filled with dirty water and used for slaughtering horses. Between 1787 and the 1820s, however, the square was lined with houses and hotels. By 1850 the surrounding area had become a centre for mercantile activity and the square itself, which had been a private garden, became a public space with statues of notable figures such as David Livingstone (on the right of this photograph).
The City Chambers, on the east side of the square, was designed by the London-based Scottish architect William Young and opened in 1888.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU64/85
University of Glasgow
gardens, George Square, Glasgow City Chambers, Municipal buildings, sculptures, squares, statues