Redlands House overlooking Great Western Road, c 1901.
When it was first built in 1869 for Glasgow businessman James Buchanan Mirrlees, Redlands House was surrounded by open fields. The new house was photographed around 1870 by Thomas Annan and almost thirty years later his son James returned to take this second photograph. The most obvious change is in the surrounding land, where the open fields of the 1870s have been filled with houses.
Redlands House had also undergone some changes between the 1870s and 1901. The conservatory (left) had been enlarged and the roof had been reconstructed after a fire in 1882. The front entrance had also been rebuilt to provide a covered porch over the entrance stairs.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU64/34
University of Glasgow
conservatories, country houses, fields, gardens, glasshouses, mansions, porches, Redlands House