Redlands House, c 1870s.
James Buchanan Mirrlees, a wealthy Glasgow businessman, acquired 24 acres of land north of Great Western Road in 1869. He employed the architect James Boucher to build an Italianate villa with conservatory, stable block and greenhouses. This photograph, by Thomas Annan, shows the newly-built house surrounded by the fields of Kelvinside, which was still largely rural. Great Western Road can just be seen in the bottom left corner.
The house was converted in the early 1920s to become Redlands Hospital for Women. The hospital was closed in 1978 and the building became a Scottish Ambulance Service training centre.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU64/33
University of Glasgow
conservatories, country houses, fields, gardens, greenhouses, houses, housing, Italianate villas, mansions, photographers, Redlands Hospital for Women, Redlands House, roads, Scottish Ambulance Service, training centres, women's hospitals