Glasgow Cathedral from the south, with Glasgow Royal Infirmary and its distinctive dome on the left, 1860s.
Glasgow Cathedral is reputedly built on the site of St Mungo's original church, founded in the 6th century on the banks of the Molendinar Burn. The first record of the building is for 1136 and in 1197 a new Cathedral was built, of which a single vaulting shaft in the south aisle of the lower church is all that survives today. Further building work was carried out in the mid-13th and 14th centuries.
A distinctive feature is the lower church, seen in the bottom right section of the photograph. As the Cathedral was built on a steep slope on the banks of the Molendinar ravine, it was necessary to adopt this this unusual design to maintain the choir and the nave on the same level. The lower church contains the crypt, chapter house and the Blackadder Aisle, seen here protruding from the south side of the building.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU64/14
University of Glasgow
Barony Church, Blackadder Aisle, chapter houses, churches, crypts, Glasgow Cathedral, Glasgow Royal Infirmary, infirmaries, Molendinar Burn, voluntary hospitals