Garscube Estate, 1981.
This aerial photograph shows some of the University of Glasgow's buildings on the Garscube Estate. Situated near Maryhill in the north-west of the city, the estate was purchased by the University in 1947 as a solution to the overcrowding on the University's Gilmorehill campus.
Wolfson Halls of Residence are on the far left of the photograph. The Kelvin Campus of the West of Scotland Science Park has been developed on the site since the early 1980s. On the right, across Maryhill Road, is the University Observatory with the Naval Architecture Hydrodynamics Facility behind it. They were built in the mid-1960s and were joined in the 1980s by the buildings of the Science Park's Todd Campus.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU43/33
University of Glasgow
Garscube Estate, Hydrodynamics Facility, marine engineering, Naval Architecture, observatories, parks, student accommodation, student halls of residence, test tanks, University Observatory, University of Glasgow buildings, West of Scotland Science Park, Wolfson Hall of Residence, Wolfson Halls