Garscube House, 1954.
Garscube House was designed by the architect William Burn (1789-1870) and completed in 1827. Burn designed other large country houses such as Tyninghame in East Lothian. The house faced south overlooking landscaped gardens beside the River Kelvin.
In 1948 the University of Glasgow purchased the house and part of the estate from Sir George Campbell of Succoth for £16,000. In 1954 it was discovered that the house was riddled with dry rot and it was subsequently demolished. A veterinary hospital was built on the estate in 1957 and a veterinary school in 1970. Wolfson Hall of Residence was erected on the site of the house in 1965.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU42/7
University of Glasgow
country houses, Garscube Estate, Garscube House, mansions, parks, River Kelvin, University of Glasgow, Veterinary Hospital, West of Scotland Science Park, Wolfson Hall