Construction of the Veterinary Hospital and School, University of Glasgow, 1978.
The Vet School is located at the University's Garscube Estate, at the West of Scotland Science Park near Maryhill. The Garscube Estate was purchased by the University in 1947, and developed for veterinary and equine studies.
The Main Building of the Veterinary Hospital was designed by Glasgow architects Gillespie, Kidd & Coia and opened in 1957. This was followed by construction of the Large Animal Units in 1962, designed by W N W Ramsay. The Equine Unit and Foal House (1964), Large Animal Unit (1968), Veterinary Surgery and Reproduction Units (1969), and the Veterinary School (1970) were all designed by the architects Building Design Partnership.
Veterinary Medicine, previously taught in the Glasgow Veterinary College, became a University discipline in 1949 within the Medical Faculty and became a separate Faculty in 1966. In 1954 the Cochno estate, 5 miles from Garscube, was purchased for use as a veterinary field station, hostel and experimental animal centre.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU43/1
University of Glasgow
Building Design Partnerships, Gillespie, Kidd & Coia, Glasgow Veterinary College, parks, University of Glasgow buildings, Veterinary Hospital, Veterinary School, West of Scotland Science Park