The University of Glasgow's Naval Architecture Hydrodynamics Facility, at the West of Scotland Science Park on the Garscube Estate, 1978. The Facility has its own testing tank.
The University's Chair of Naval Architecture (the world's first) was founded in 1883. It resulted from the friendship between Professor William J Macquorn Rankine and the Clyde shipbuilder, John Elder. Following Elder's death in 1873, his widow Isabella endowed the Chair as a memorial to her husband.
In 2001, the Department of Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering at the University of Glasgow merged with the Department of Ship and Marine Technology at the University of Strathclyde, to form the Department of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, jointly owned by the two universities. Marine Engineering had been studied at Anderson's College, one of the University of Strathclyde's predecessor institutions, since 1882.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU59/2
University of Glasgow
engineering, Hydrodynamics Facility, naval architecture and marine engineering, naval architecture and ocean engineering, professors, science parks, testing tanks, University of Glasgow buildings, West of Scotland Science Park