The Memorial Gates at the University of Glasgow, c 1951.
The Memorial Gates were gifted to the University in 1951 by the General Council to commemorate the University's fifth centenary. They are located on University Avenue, in front of the Hunter Memorial and opposite the Reading Room. There were twenty-four names on the wrought iron gates, including those of distinguished University professors such as Lord Kelvin, Joseph Lister and Adam Smith. Also included are a number of illustrious figures who were connected to the University, such as James Watt, who was employed as an instrument maker.
In 2001 the names of the graduates and politicians John Smith and Donald Dewar were inscribed on a permanent memorial on the gates.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU61/9
University of Glasgow
entrances, gateways, Gilbert Scott building, Glasgow University Memorial Gates, memorials