The Hunter Memorial, University of Glasgow, 1951.
The John and William Hunter Memorial, designed by architect John J Burnet, and located at the north entrance to the Gilbert Scott Building, was unveiled on 24 June 1925. William Hunter was a University student and respected London surgeon, who donated his vast collections of art, coins, and scientific artefacts to the University and which were housed in its world-famous Hunterian Museum. John Hunter was William's youngest brother, who followed him to London and became a respected anatomist. He founded a second Hunterian Museum, at the Royal College of Surgeons at Lincoln's Inn Fields in London.
In this picture, the garden in front of the Memorial has been arranged to celebrate the University's fifth centenary. The north gates in the foreground were subsequently replaced by Memorial Gates.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU61/10
University of Glasgow
anatomists, entrances, gardens, gates, Gilbert Scott Building, Hunter Memorial, Hunterian Museum, memorial gardens, memorials, physicians and surgeons, Royal College of Surgeons, University of Glasgow buildings