The Dumbarton Road entrance to the Gilmorehill campus of the University of Glasgow, 1978.
The road through the archway leads up to Gilmorehill past the science buildings (Physics and Astronomy, Zoology, Chemistry, Institute of Biomedical and Life Sciences buildings) and Professors' Square to the Gilbert Scott Building and James Watt Engineering Building. In the background on the left is the overbearing 11-storey square block of the Glasgow Western Infirmary's Accident and Emergency Department, built 1965-1971.
The gatehouse on the left was shared by the University of Glasgow and the neighbouring Western Infirmary. It was built in 1882 and by the 1990s had become derelict. In 2002 it was substantially renovated using funds raised through an appeal led by the Evening Times, and re-opened as Maggie's Centre, a drop-in cancer care centre.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU61/15
University of Glasgow
Accident and Emergency Departments, drop-in cancer care centres, Dumbarton Road Lodge, entrance lodges, entrances, Evening Times, gatehouses, gates, Gilbert Scott building, Glasgow Western Infirmary, hospitals, infirmaries, Maggie's Centre, University of Glasgow buildings