The University of Glasgow, c 1972.
This picture illustrates the University's expansion since moving to Gilmorehill in 1870. The original Gilmorehill Building, designed by George Gilbert Scott is in the centre, with the south front overlooking Kelvingrove Park. Newer buildings have been constructed to the east, west and spreading north over University Avenue into Hillhead.
University Avenue runs past the north side of the Gilbert Scott Building. The extension of the University into Hillhead began in earnest in 1959 with the Modern Languages Building, and drew to end in the late 1970s with the Hunterian Art Gallery (opened in 1978).
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services
University of Glasgow
Adam Smith Building, aerial views, Boyd Orr Building, Gilbert Scott Building, Glasgow University Library, Glasgow University Union, James Watt Building, Joseph Black Building, Kelvin Building, Kelvingrove Park, Mathematics Building, Modern Languages Building, parks, Queen Margaret Union, Rankine Building, Reading Room, Refectory, Stevenson Building, University buildings, University Chapel, University of Glasgow, University of Glasgow buildings, Wellington Church, Zoology Building