The "Abbot's Kitchen" which housed the chemistry laboratories at the University of Glasgow, c 1950.
The distinctive building was designed by architect George Gilbert Scott in 1870, and built at the eastern end of the University's main building on Gilmorehill. Scott modelled the octagonal-roofed building on the medieval Abbot's Kitchen at Glastonbury Abbey. He was apparently influenced by the designs favoured by the French chemist, Antoine Laurent Lavoisier, and would have been aware of a similar chemistry laboratory that had been erected at Oxford University in 1860.
Temporary brick laboratories were added to the Abbot's Kitchen in 1904. It was demolished in 1957 to make way for the James Watt South Building.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU52/2
University of Glasgow
Abbot's Kitchen, chemistry laboratories, Gilbert Scott Building, James Watt South Building, laboratories, University of Glasgow buildings