Westerland Club House at the University of Glasgow's playing fields on Ascot Avenue, c 1960.
In the early years of the 20th century new University buildings were erected on the playing fields to the west of the Gilbert Scott Building, just off Byres Road. New grounds for sports activities were obtained at Bankhead near Scotstounhill in 1906, and in 1912 at Westerlands, Anniesland. Following a public appeal and student fund-raising activities, the Westerlands grounds were extended in the early 1920s and in 1924 work began on the new pavilion, designed by architect James M Honeyman and opened in 1926.
The Westerlands playing fields were sold to housing developers in the 1990s and in 1996 a new University sports complex and playing fields were opened on the Garscube Estate near Maryhill.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU48/2
University of Glasgow
Glasgow University Athletics Club, GUAC, pavilions, club houses, University of Glasgow Athletics Pavilion, University of Glasgow buildings, University of Glasgow playing fields, Westerlands Club House, Westerlands playing fields