Exterior of the Hunterian Art Gallery on Hillhead Street, 1978.
The Art Gallery has greatly increased it art holdings since William Hunter bequeathed his collection of paintings (along with his other collections, subsequently housed in the Hunterian Museum) in 1783. Additions to the collection have included the Whistler Collection and works by the Glasgow Boys, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, and the Scottish Colourists. By the mid-1960s it was clear that the museum in the Gilbert Scott Building was no longer suitable for displaying such a prestigious and valuable collection of works of art, and it was decided to provide a new purpose-built gallery.
The Hunterian Art Gallery was designed by architect William Whitfield. Work began in the early 1970s and was completed in 1981. This photograph shows the front entrance to the Gallery (above stairs, at centre of the picture), with the entrance to the University Library to the right. On the left hand side is the front of the Gallery incorporating a reconstruction of the front exterior of Charles Rennie Mackintosh's Southpark Avenue house, with its front door built into the wall several metres above ground level.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU39/16
University of Glasgow
art galleries, Glasgow Boys, Glasgow University Library, Hunterian Art Gallery, libraries, Mackintosh House, Scottish Colourists, streetscenes, University of Glasgow buildings, Whistler Collection