Florentine Terrace on Southpark Avenue (originally Ann Street), photographed from Wellington Church, 1962.
Number 78 Southpark Avenue (the end house, left, in the terrace) was the home of the Scottish architect and designer Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) and the artist Margaret Macdonald Mackintosh (1864-1933) from 1906 until 1914. The couple made substantial alterations to the rooms by removing walls and adding fireplaces, bookcases and furnishings that they had designed. They also added windows to the gable wall to admit more natural light.
The house was bought by the University of Glasgow in 1946, and the previous owners included the Mackintosh furnishings as a gift to the University. By 1963 the area was threatened by subsidence, and as the terrace stood on land scheduled for redevelopment it was demolished to make way for the Refectory Building. Prior to the demolition, an extensive survey was made of the house and all its salvageable fixtures and fittings were recovered and stored. This allowed a reconstruction of parts of the house to be incorporated in the Hunterian Art Gallery, which was completed in 1981.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU29/4
University of Glasgow
architects, artists, designers, Hunterian Art Gallery, Mackintosh house, Refectory, terraces, University of Glasgow buildings, women