Hillhead, viewed from the University of Glasgow tower, c 1950.
University Gardens (in the foreground) was originally called Saughfield Terrace. From the 1900s until the 1960s the University acquired houses there for use as teaching and departmental offices. At the far end of University Gardens the white domed roof of the University's Observatory is visible through the trees. Facing it, the terraced houses on the west side of Lilybank Gardens were demolished in the late 1970s to make way for a car park. The Boyd Orr Building and the Queen Margaret Union now flank the pedestrian-only link between Lilybank Gardens and University Avenue.
The magnificent terrace of houses on Bute Gardens, behind University Gardens, was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the University Library, Hunterian Art Gallery and Adam Smith Building. Peeking over the tops of the trees in the middle of the picture is Lilybank House. In the distance, slightly to the left, is the distinctive Belmont and Hillhead Parish Church in Saltoun Street.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU37/5
University of Glasgow
Adam Smith Building, Belmont and Hillhead Parish Church, churches, Glasgow University Library, Hunterian Art Gallery, libraries, Lilybank House, observatories, panoramas, terraces, University Observatory, University of Glasgow buildings