University Gardens looking east in 1978.
Since the early 20th century, the University of Glasgow has acquired residential property in Hillhead and converted it to accommodate offices, classrooms and other teaching facilities. Some of the best-known of these buildings are in University Gardens, situated on the north side of University Avenue opposite the Gilbert Scott Building. Numbers 2 to 10 (depicted in the picture, No 10 nearest the camera) were designed by architect Sir John J Burnet and built 1882-1884. The corner house at No 1 was designed by Robert Ewan and built in 1902. Restoration work was carried out on the buildings during the 1980s.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU37/7
University of Glasgow
gardens, streetscenes, terraced houses, University of Glasgow buildings