Lilybank House (left), University of Glasgow, 1978.
Located at the end of Lilybank Terrace in Hillhead, the house was built for Glasgow merchant Robert Allan, probably in the 1830s. It was leased by John Blackie, co-founder of the publishing firm Blackie & Son in 1857, and bought by him in 1864. In 1865 he had the architect Alexander (Greek) Thomson restyle the building. Thomson added a new wing at the southern end, and relocated the old central entrance to a new portico leading to the additional public rooms.
In 1894 Lilybank House the architects Honeyman & Keppie who altered the interior and added a first floor to the north wing, and the building became a residence for the students of Queen Margaret College. It ceased to be a student residence in the mid-1960s, and in recent years has been used by a variety of University departments.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU34/1
University of Glasgow
Blackie & Son, Honeyman & Keppie, Lilybank House, Queen Margaret College, student residences, students, University of Glasgow buildings