Pearce Lodge, University of Glasgow, c 1960.
When the Old College buildings were demolished in 1870, part of the High Street entrance was carefully dismantled and preserved. In 1887 the stonework was brought to Gilmorehill and incorporated in the gateway and gatehouse erected at the northeast gate of the new campus on University Avenue. The building was named Pearce Lodge for Sir William Pearce of the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, who had donated funds for building. It was designed by the architect A G Thomson, and until 1907 was occupied by the Department of Naval Architecture.
The principal elements preserved from the Old College are the arched gateway (the old metal-studded wooden gate was not rescued) and the cornice to the right. There are two stone panels set in the gatehouse walls, one bearing the date 1658 and the other the inscription "CR2".
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU31/5
University of Glasgow
entrances, Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, gatehouses, gateways, Naval Architecture, Pearce Lodge, Scots Baronial, University of Glasgow buildings