The swimming pool in the Stevenson Building, University of Glasgow, 1961.
The Stevenson Building for Physical Education was opened in 1960 to provide modern facilities for sports and recreation. John J Burnet designed the University's original gymnasium which had opened in 1872, west of the Gilbert Scott Building on Gilmorehill. Following the opening of the Stevenson Building, the old building was occupied by the University's works department, Estates and Buildings.
The facilities available in the Stevenson Building include a 25 metres swimming pool, activity hall, exercise studio, squash courts, cardio-vascular suite, muscle conditioning suite, and sauna and steam room. However the University's main sports complex at the beginning of the 21st century is at the Garscube Estate, in the West of Scotland Science Park near Maryhill. It opened in 1996, and includes rugby pitches, football pitches, a shinty/lacrosse pitch, squash and tennis courts, cricket oval, and exercise facilities.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU24/5
University of Glasgow
diving boards, physical education, sports centres, Stevenson Building, swimming pools, University of Glasgow buildings