The Stevenson Building for Physical Education, University of Glasgow, 1961. Located on the corner of Gibson Street and Oakfield Avenue, the "Stevie" was designed by the architects Keppie, Henderson & Partners and opened in January 1961. The facilities included a large gymnasium and swimming pool.
The building was named for Sir Daniel Macaulay Stevenson (1851-1944), merchant, civic administrator and coal exporter, who was a councillor from 1892 to 1914 and Lord Provost from 1911 to 1914. He was Chancellor of the University of Glasgow from 1934 until his death in 1944 and founded and endowed a Lectureship in Citizenship and Chairs of Spanish and Italian Language and Literature. The trustees of his estate made a significant contribution to the cost of the Stevenson Building.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU24/5
University of Glasgow
Chancellors, Leisure centres, Lord Provosts, merchants, physical education buildings, Sports centres, Stevenson Building for Physical Education, Stevie
, swimming pools, University of Glasgow buildings