An aerial view from the south of the University of Glasgow's circular Reading Room and (behind it) the Refectory, with Wellington Church on the right, c 1978. Hillhead High School is behind the church.
Designed by T L Watson and built in 1883, Wellington Church was originally built for a United Presbyterian congregation. The exterior is in a lavish Greek Revival style with large columns along three quarters of each wall, while the interior employs more of a Renaissance style.
Situated on Oakfield Avenue, the red-brick Hillhead High School was designed by architects Wylie, Shanks & Wylie and opened in 1931 to replace the original school (which became Hillhead Primary) on Cecil Street.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU22/13
University of Glasgow
churches, Greek Revival, Hillhead High School, libraries, Reading Room, refectories, Refectory, Renaissance, secondary schools, United Presbyterian Church, University of Glasgow buildings, Wellington Church, Wyllie Shanks & Wyllie