The Zoology Museum at the University of Glasgow, 1950s.
The original collections were gifted to the University by the anatomist and surgeon William Hunter and included shells, insects and corals. Substantial additions have been made over the years, including John Graham Kerr's South American lungfish, Himalayan Bird skins, and the Hansell collection of animal artefacts. Most of the major animal groups are represented but the insect collection accounts for 90 per cent of the 600,000 specimens.
The collections have been housed in the Graham Kerr (Zoology) Building since its construction in 1923. It provides a large space to exhibit the specimens and was designed to protect exhibits from the damaging effects of harsh light.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU28/5
University of Glasgow
Graham Kerr Building, Hunterian Museum, museums, natural history, University of Glasgow buildings, Zoology Building, Zoology Museum, zoology specimens