Physiology lecture theatre in the West Medical Building, University of Glasgow, c 1970.
The West Medical Building was constructed in 1907 to provide modern teaching and research facilities for Materia Medica, Physiology, Forensic Medicine, and Public Health, and included three large lecture theatres. However, by the end of the 1940s the building was overcrowded and in need of serious repair. An opportunity arose for renovation when the Departments of Public Health and Forensic Medicine left the building. The departments' large lecture theatre was converted into two laboratories, and the existing Physiology laboratories were redesigned and refurbished.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU27/5
University of Glasgow
auditoriums, classrooms, Forensic Medicine, lecture theatres, Materia Medica, medicine, Physiology, Public Health, University of Glasgow buildings, West Medical Building