The University of Glasgow's West Medical Building viewed from Kelvingrove Park, c 1907.
By 1900 the University buildings on Gilmorehill had become overcrowded, owing to the addition of new academic subjects and the greater emphasis given to practical experiments in the sciences. The solution was to erect new buildings, the first of which was the Bower Building in 1901. Shortage of funds was a recurrent problem and it was not until 1903 that work began on a massive new building to house Physiology, Materia Medica, Forensic Medicine and Public Health.
Located to the south west of the Gilbert Scott Building, the West Medical Building was designed by architect James Millar and was formally opened by the Prince and Princess of Wales on 23 April 1907. The building was funded through the Ninth Jubilee appeal, which had been established in 1901 to raise money for new buildings and laboratories and which by 1906 had raised more than £75,000.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU27/4
University of Glasgow
Forensic Medicine, Kelvingrove Park, Materia Medica, medicine, parks, Physiology, Public Health, University of Glasgow buildings, West Medical Building