Glasgow University Union, 1978.
The University Union was formed in 1885 to provide dining and socialising facilities for students. It was originally located in the McIntyre Building but in 1929-1931 a new building was erected at the foot of University Avenue.
The new Union was paid for from funds raised by donations to the Student Welfare Scheme, started in 1921 to re-invigorate student life. It was designed with a strong Scots baronial flavour by architect Alan McNaughton of Arthur & McNaughton, who had been an assistant to John J Burnet. In 1965 the architects Keppie, Henderson and Partners designed an extension on the north side of the building.
Membership of the Glasgow University Union was open only to male students until 1980, and it was the last in Scotland to deny membership to women.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU25/2
University of Glasgow
Arthur & McNaughton, Glasgow University Union, Keppie, Henderson & Partners, streetscenes, students, University of Glasgow buildings