Natural Philosophy lecture theatre at the University of Glasgow, 1959. It was designed as part of the second phase of a programme to construct a new Natural Philosophy Building. The modern benches allow ample space for large numbers of students, with good sight lines to the lecture podium. At the back is a projector, and at the front is a long demonstration bench and large blackboards.
In 1986 the Department of Astronomy and the Department of Natural Philosophy merged to form the Department of Physics and Astronomy. The need to accommodate both departments under one roof led to a further period of renovation in the late 1980s, particularly of the 1907 building which required rewiring and repair. As part of this refurbishment, the original large lecture theatre was demolished and replaced with new teaching and research laboratories.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU20/26
University of Glasgow
auditoria, auditoriums, classrooms, Kelvin Building, lecture theatres, Natural Philosophy Building, physics, University of Glasgow buildings