Physics extension to the Natural Philosophy Building, University of Glasgow, circa 1970.
By the mid-1940s the Principal of the University, Hector Hetherington, was determined to establish the Natural Philosophy Department as one of the pre-eminent physics departments in the UK. As part of the project, Basil Spence & Partners designed an extension to the original 1907 building. The first phase, completed in 1954, consisted of the new building with a new lecture room and purpose built accommodation for the synchrotron, an important piece of equipment the study of particle physics. The second phase provided teaching laboratories and another lecture theatre, and was completed in 1959. Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson were responsible for a third phase in 1966.
The new building had a library and a museum on the top floor, which displayed historical equipment most of which was from Lord Kelvin's old laboratory.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU20/27
University of Glasgow
Basil Spence & Partners, Basil Spence, Glover & Ferguson, Kelvin Building, Natural Philosophy Building, physics, University of Glasgow buildings