The Lion and Unicorn Staircase with the University Chapel in the background, 1975.
The staircase was designed by William Riddell and built in the inner court of the Old College in the High Street in the 1690s. It was dismantled when the University left High Street in 1870. It was constructed with its original right-hand turn in 1872 to provide access to the west quadrangle from Professors' Square. During the construction of the west wing of the west quadrangle and the University Chapel, it was dismantled once more and rebuilt in 1929 with a left-hand turn at the southwest corner of the Gilbert Scott Building.
The Scottish Unicorn and the English Lion are the supporters of the Royal coat of arms.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU11/13
University of Glasgow
coats of arms, Gilbert Scott Building, Lion and Unicorn staircase, lions, sculptures, staircases, unicorns, University Chapel, University of Glasgow buildings, west quadrangle