The communion table at the east end of the University chapel, 1929. The statue below the east window represents St Mungo.
In 1919 it was decided that the University Chapel would be erected as a memorial to the 755 members of staff, students and others associated with the University of Glasgow who were killed in the First World War, with their names recorded on tablets in the east end of the building (centre of the photograph). Following the Second World War, the names of 432 men killed in that conflict were added to the memorial.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU11/9
University of Glasgow
chapels, churches, communion tables, First World War, sculptures, Second World War, statues, University Chapel, University of Glasgow buildings, war memorials