The west facade of the University Chapel in Professors' Square, 1929.
By the beginning of the 20th century, the Gilbert Scott Building could no longer provide adequate teaching space for the growing number of arts subjects taught at the University of Glasgow. In 1909 the Arts Faculty asked the Court to find a solution to the problem. A committee chaired by the Principal, Sir Donald McAlister, agreed to make it a priority to close off the building's west quadrangle and to add a chapel there, an idea which had been under discussion for over twenty years.
The architects John J Burnet and Norman A Dick were commissioned in 1914 but the outbreak of the First World War prevented further progress. Building work finally began in 1923, but was not completed until 1929 as a result of strikes and bad weather.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU11/6
University of Glasgow
chapels, churches, courtyards, Gilbert Scott Building, quadrangles, strikes' steeples, University Chapel, University of Glasgow, University of Glasgow buildings, west quadrangle