The west wing of the University of Glasgow's west quadrangle and the University Chapel under construction, 1920s.
The new University building was unfinished at the time of its official opening in 1870. Only in 1929 was the west quadrangle closed off to Professors' Square and the University Chapel completed. This picture shows the construction in progress. The foundations and stone stairways to the Chapel have been built, and the framework of the building is taking shape. The space in the middle, between the two stairways, is the Chapel site.
The area under the archways on the left became the new premises of the College Club, which opened its doors in 1928 offering a three course lunch for 1 shilling and ninepence (less than 9p). Bute Hall can be seen through the scaffolding, with the University tower in the background.
Reference: Glasgow University Archive Services, PHU11/4
University of Glasgow
Bute Hall, chapels, churches, College Club, construction sites, courtyards, Gilbert Scott Building, halls, quadrangles, towers, University Chapel, University of Glasgow buildings, west quadrangle